NEWS FROM THE BLOG
by Amanda Prischak on
Would you believe that some organization experts estimate that 30 percent of all garages don’t even house a car? That’s because people would rather use their garage as a storage shed than a home for their vehicles.
If this sounds like you—or if space is getting tight—you might want to add your garage to your spring cleaning list. In order to make the job more painless, here are nine hacks to help organize your garage. (One friendly reminder: As you clean and organize, keep an eye out for any potential fire hazards.)
1. Simply nailing angled wooden brackets to a wall is the perfect storage solution for lawn chairs and more.
2 Bungee cords can help corral all those basketballs, soccer balls and more. Simply hook a few into sturdy surfaces and place sports balls in a neat pile behind the cords.
3. If your yard tools are all over the place, try rolling up a PVC tube and placing some screws into the place where the edges meet to create a tool slot.
4. Use mason jars or any other glass jar to stash nails and screws.
5. Hang a magnetic strip on a wall and use it to hold metal tools like scissors, screw drivers and more.
6. Use a big basket to hold beach gear like boogie boards and snorkeling gear. No more searching the whole garage to find what you need!
7. An easy way to make your garage more aesthetically pleasing is to apply inexpensive floor tiles to the walls.
8. Horizontally nail a strong paper towel holder into a wall. Voila—you now have a way to neatly stash your garbage bags!
9. If you collected more unneeded items than your regular trash pickup can handle, check out Bagster.* You can buy these bags at many home improvement stores; when your haul is ready, simply call the company to schedule a pickup.
*Erie Insurance does not endorse this product.